Here is the complete collection of St. Ignatius College, Riverview.
Click here to buy your cards or for more information.
© Copyright of the historical images belongs to St. Ignatius College, Riverview
St. Ignatius College, Riverview
Since its foundation in 1880 St Ignatius' College, Riverview has been under the care of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits).
While the founder of the school in the real sense was Father Joseph Dalton SJ, the school does have two other founders. The first was Archbishop Roger Bede Vaughan who invited the Jesuits to Sydney on condition that they found a boys’ boarding school and the second was Father J.J. Therry, who, on his death in 1864 left the greater part of his property to the Society of Jesus.
Archbishop Vaughan’s gift of a large sum of money out of the sale of Lyndhurst, the old Benedictine College at Glebe, and the Jesuits sale of Father Therry’s properties, Josephton, at what is now Avalon, provided much of the finance needed for establishing saint Ignatius’ College.
After Archbishop Vaughan asked the Jesuits to open a day school in Sydney (St Kilda House, later to become St Aloysius' College) and a boarding college on the North Shore, Father Joseph Dalton purchased the Riverview Estate on behalf of the Society of Jesus. When the Riverview Estate was put up for sale, Father Joseph Dalton concluded arrangements for its purchase on 28 June 1878. Eighteen months later Father Dalton was appointed foundation Rector of St Ignatius' College.
An advertisement was placed in the Catholic newspaper; The Express stating that boys aged between 8 and 12 would be received at Riverview 'as soon as possible after the Christmas holidays'. Classes commenced in the cottage in February 1880.
The main building of the College was constructed in three stages between 1885 -1930 and the foundation stone was laid by Cardinal Moran Archbishop of Sydney on 15 December 1885. As originally designed by Gilbert, Dennihey and Tappin, of Ballarat, the building was to be a huge square, representing four identical fronts, but only the South front was completed according to plan.
Although the first dayboys were not officially admitted until 1923, there was a small group of pupils who were permitted to attend the college as dayboys. In fact, up until the 1960s dayboys remained relatively small in number and Riverview was mainly for boarders.
Saint Ignatius’ College, Riverview – Today.
Saint Ignatius' College, Riverview is a Catholic school for day boys and boarders from Years 5-12. It was established by the Jesuits at Lane Cove in Sydney in 1880 and is part of the international network of Jesuit schools begun in Messina, Sicily in 1548.
At Riverview, our aim is to educate students so that they may become young men of competence, conscience and compassion, striving always for excellence in all they do.
Our motto, Quantum Potes Tantum Aude, “As much as you can do, so much dare to do”, reflects this central theme of Jesuit education.
Jesuit education insists on individual care and concern for each student. At Riverview, we have developed an academic program and pastoral care system, which enable a boy to reach his full potential as a person of faith, created and loved by God.
“Our ideal is the well rounded person who is intellectually competent, open to growth, religious, loving and committed to doing justice in generous service to the people God,” Fr Peter-Hans Kolvenbach SJ, Superior-General of the Society of Jesus, The Characteristics of Jesuit Education, 1986.